Sunday, September 22, 2013

Broccoli & Cheese Quiche

As today marks autumn's arrival, I thought it only suitable to bake accordingly. Therefore for a nice sit-down Sunday dinner I decided to let my family be my taste-testers for my first ever quiche. With a bit of apprehension they agreed, and it turns out they loved it! Which it great because I am thinking about making it for a dinner I am having in October with some friends.

I thought that if my family loved then I had better share it with others to get their verdict on the quiche before I serve it to my friends. With fresh broccoli, sharp cheddar and Swiss cheese it is hard to go wrong. There is seriously nothing better than a cup of chai tea and broccoli quiche...Well unless you count jumping in leaves, hot cider, baking with pumpkin, pumpkin carving, and fall clothing, but that is beside the point.
 
Yes, I did make my own crust, but it was very time consuming!
 
 
And just because I had spent so much time on the crust already, I added a little flair.
 
 
The finished project! Ta-da!
  

Broccoli & Cheese Quiche

Ingredients:
 
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups broccoli, cut into florets (the amount may vary with however much broccoli you want)
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 uncooked pie pastry shell
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk (it really is up to you which kind you want to use)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup shredded Swiss Cheese, divided
 
Instructions:
 
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and onion; cook and stir until broccoli in crisp-tender. Stir in garlic cloves; stir and cook for 4-5 minutes longer.
3. Fill pie crust with broccoli mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup of cheddar and 1/4 cup of Swiss; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.
 
Notes:
 This recipe is so easy that it would be quite simple to substitute in different vegetables or even meat. You can also substitute cheeses if so desired.
 
~Enjoy! - Gabi xoxo~
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment