Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Blueberry Pie Bars

So, unfortunately my clothes that I have ordered haven't arrived yet, so the haul post will have to be postponed for a bit.
Also, I have barely had time to bake, so I don't think I will be able to do a July Favorites blog post, but hopefully an August one. Sorry if some of you were looking forward to that!
 
It is that time of year when I absolutely love fruit, and anything with fruit in it!
I had massive heaps of blueberries that I needed to use up before leaving for vacation next week.
I really wanted to try a recipe that I had never done before.
I found this recipe, and only slightly tweaked it.
Because I had no sour cream in my house, I simply substituted it for plain Greek yogurt.
Using the Greek yogurt cuts out a lot of calories and fats that are unneeded, as the recipe already has a good amount of butter.
I doubt that the taste is much different, and it didn't ruin the recipe because these bars were DELICIOUS!!
 

 

Blueberry Pie Bars

 
Ingredients:
 
Crust & Topping
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 1/2 sticks cold butter (cubed)
Filling
3 cups fresh blueberries
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
pinch salt
 
Instructions:
 
1. Grease 9x13 glass baking dish- set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Add flour, sugar, salt & cubed butter to mixing bowl, beat until combined & crumbly. 
4. Take 1 cup of mixture & set aside. Take remaining mixture & firmly press into your baking dish, covering the bottom. Bake 15 minutes. 
5. While crust is baking- whisk eggs in a large bowl.
6. Add sugar, sour cream, flour & salt. 
7. Gently fold in blueberries. Set aside.
8. When crust is ready - remove from oven & add filling.
9/ Gently spooning over the top of the crust. Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture you had set aside. 
10. Bake 1 hour or until top is lightly browned. 
11. Cool before serving if eating alone. If serving warm- add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment