Saturday, August 2, 2014

Quinoa Energy Bars

So, Memorial Day was this past weekend and when I was not working, I was spending time with my family. Veterans Day is a big day for my family because my Grandfather was a WWII pilot, my one uncle served in the Marines, and my other uncle, who passed away a little over year ago, after over a 20-year battle with cancer, also fought for our country. It was a great reminder to cherish the time with my family, and I give thanks for the men and women who fought and laid down their lives for our freedom.
As a good bonding family time, we went of a six-mile hike. It was a beautiful and it was so enjoyable! We made it back just before the dark clouds rolled in and it started to sprinkle. While on the hike, all of my family had their protein and granola bars, but as I have gone gluten-free, I couldn't have either. I needed something to nourish me, energize me, and give me something healthy to snack on at other times.
These energy bars have quinoa and dark chocolate! Quinoa is one of these best sources of protein, and if you are not a huge fan of the taste, no worries for the berries mask the taste. Dark chocolate is the best kind of chocolate for you and is a great antioxidant, it lowers blood pressure, and it fills your chocolate craving without overindulging.

Quinoa Energy Bars

Ingredients:

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
2 Tbsp. chia seeds (alternative is flax seeds)
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/3 dried cranberries
Enough dark chocolate to spread over top lightly

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F.  Line baking pan with wax paper.
2. Rinse quinoa and cook according to package. Drain and set aside.
3. Food process chia seeds, frozen berries, and dried cranberries until gooey.
4. In mixing bowl, mix together quinoa and gooey mess. *Optional: Mix in whole dried cranberries.
5.Spread thinly on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crispy. Remove and let cool.
6. Melt chocolate and spread thinly over the energy bars. Let cool completely.
7. Store in airtight container. Best if refrigerated or frozen for more of a crunch!

~Enjoy!! -Gabi xoxo~

No comments:

Post a Comment